Be one of the first people to play on the newly redesigned Legacy Hills, the finest in Northern Indiana golf! Are you up to the challenge of facing the brand new, scenic back 9? See our annual membership rates, and daily non-member rates.
The Natural Advantages of the Natural Grounds cannot be
The Laporte Country Club was incorporated on June 27, 1904. The Articles of Incorporation state: “The object for which this club is being formed is to promote and encourage the interest of its members in the pursuit of the game of golf as played under the rules of the USGA.”
Signatures of the following persons appear on the Articles of Incorporation:
A.L. Osborn, III
Charles E. Russell
|John C. Richter
Ira P. Norton
Joseph W. Rumley
J. Vene Dorland
The course was laid out by L. Auchter Torris, who is quoted as saying, “the natural advantages of the natural grounds cannot be surpassed.” A similar statement describing the terrain of a new nine holes being built north of the present course has been made by the course’s architect, Ernest Schrock of Scrock & Associates of Mishawaka.
The golf course was built originally with six holes which were given names instead of numbers. Play was described as follows: players start off on “Easy Street”, then go into the “Pocket”, followed by “Westward Ho”, after which they reach “Four Corners”, “Midway”, and finally “Pilgrim’s Progress”. The Laporte Country Club course is believed to be the third oldest golf course in Indiana. In 1906, three holes were built to complete the nine hole course. Additional tees and one additional hole were constructed in later years to provide more variety if 18 holes were played.
Caddies were initially paid ten cents a round, but soon went on strike, thereafter receiving fifteen cents.
The first clubhouse, built in 1907, was formally opened with a competition between nine golfers from Laporte and a like number from Michigan City. Michigan City golfers won the event, which was scored under the Nassau system, but newspaper reports state Laporteans were quick to point out that they won 27 holes to Michigan City’s 24!
In 1923, the Clubhouse was remodeled and many improvements were made to the golf course.
The cost of these expenditures was reported to be $30,700.
The Laporte Fraternal Order of Elks purchased the Country Club in 1945, after which the course was known as the “Elks” course. That organization razed the clubhouse in 1970, and at the same location built a new Elks Club facility, which included a golf pro shop. William “Needles” Harrow and William Murray served as golf pros during the period of Elks ownership.
In 1980, upon the dissolution of the Laporte Elks Club, the then-named Elks Golf Course was purchase by a group of investors, with LaPorteans Robert Clark, local contractor, and Attorney Robert Burns spearheading the purchase.
In January 2004, the Laporte County Board of Zoning Appeals approved the golf course expansion for 9 additional holes and a driving range.
In the spring of 2006, the new nine holes were opened for play. The 18-hole golf course is open year round weather permitting.